So Rob was watching the kids yesterday while I was running some errands. I was gone maybe 20 minutes when he called me freaking out (to put it lightly). He didn't tell me what was going on because I was too far away to come home quick enough. What happened was Rob was fixing a hole in the wall in the basement and put a standing fan up to dry the wall. He went down to check on the wall after I left and he had Kymbree in his arms. Well as you know how curious 7 month olds are, she lunged for the fan and Rob wasn't able to pull her away in time. Her finger went right through the grates. Rob only heard a thump and knew that she would be in pain so he held her close. He didn't know that it had almost severed her finger until he was up the stairs and pulled her back to look at her and there was blood everywhere. He was trying to keep her from grabbing her finger with her other hand and trying to call a neighbor at the same time. He finally got ahold of our friend Emily to come and drive him to the instacare-meanwhile the other kids are traumatized and I'm trying to call him back wondering what the heck was going on. Emily got there and was very calm and got everyone loaded in the car and then called me because in the chaos-Rob lost his phone. She told me she had my family and was taking them to the instacare. So I was hurrying to get to them. When Rob walked into Instacare, they didn't even get his name or anything they just sent him back-he found out later that it was because he had blood all over his face and clothes. They looked at her finger and told Rob that he would have to take Kymbree up to Primary's because she might have to have surgery. So I met them along the way and thank goodness for Emily-she took the older girls for me until my mom got off work. We rushed up to Primary's only to wait 2 1/2 hours in the waiting room because "she wasn't top priority". When we finally got back to a room, they took x-rays and after another 4 hours they finally were able to clean it up and stitch her finger back together. They had to partially sedate her to do it. She broke the tip of her bone all the way through and her finger was 3/4 they way off. It was horrible. Thank goodness Grandpa LeRoy was there to give sweet little Kymbree a blessing and then she was able fall asleep for about 1/2 an hour. They say her nail will fall off and it may or may not grow back. She has to be in a splint for the next week and then we have to take her back up to the Orthopedic surgeon in 3 weeks for them to check the bone. She did pretty well considering everything. My poor sweet baby! I felt so bad for Rob. He felt horrible and he was having a hard time composing himself all day. So we left the ER after being there for 7 1/2 hours at 10:30 and then we went to get the two older girls and we finally got home at 11:00. Kymbree didn't like the aftereffects of the medicine and had a hard time sleeping. She finally went to sleep around 2 and woke up again around 4 and then again at 7. But today she is relatively happy. The only curse/blessing is that she's a thumb sucker and they had to wrap her whole hand so she isn't able to put herself to sleep anymore. All in all it was a crazy day but she is doing fine and just as sweet as can be. Thank you sooooo much Emily for taking Rob and then taking the girls and taking their minds off Kymbree by making cookies with them. You are such an amazing friend. We love you!!!!
3 years ago


















12 comments:
OOOH NO! Poor thing, I'm not sure who I feel worse for, Kymbree or Rob. At least she won't remember the whole ordeal. I hope she heals quickly and isn't in too much pain.
Oh my gosh that is so so sad. The poor little thing. I did the same thing to myself exactly, only in the lawnmower, last summer. Let me tell you it hurt like CRAZY!!! She has all my sympathy. Poor baby.
I remember something kind of like that happening to Brigham. He was 7 months old and I had just taken cookies out of the oven. Joseph came over with Brigham in his arms and I guess the cookies looked good because Brigham lunged for the hot cookie sheet and burned his hand. Thankfully a good burn ointment and bandage was good enough. No ER for that one.
Oh poor little girl! That sounds soo scary for Rob AND for you! I hope she feels better soon! I hope Rob does too...accidents happen!
I am so sorry you guys had to go through this. You are Both such amazing parents!! Rob did such a good job! We hope Kymbree and all of you are doing ok. Let me know if I can help.
Wow! I still can't believe it. Rob looked so tired yesterday when I came to get Alex. Thanks again. Are you getting any sleep yet...
I'm so sorry. Good luck, the worst part is when it starts to heal and all they want to do is itch. I hope she heals fast and I think you might be suprised the nail could come back she is so young there is still a very good chance.
Poor both of them.. and you.. it hurts moms too I am learning.. Kymbree is so young she will be perfect. and will probley not suck her thumb any more so look at all th money in braces rob saved you!
Ouch!!! I am so sorry! I hope cute little Kymbree is feeling better-I can't even imagine!!! Call if we can help you with anything-your girls are so welcome to come play!
Oh my gosh. Poor little thing. That is the saddest ever. I dread the day that something like that happens to my little guy. SAD. I'm glad she's doing better though. She is ADORABLE.
HI, I'm a blog stalker :) well today I am anyways
hope you don't mind
How sad for the poor baby! And scary for you to not have been there. I hope everything is good now!
( you can blog stalk me too if you want, just email me your email address and I'll add you - we are private) newboldcs@aol.com
how scary! I am so sorry that this happened to your sweet baby. Sounds like Rob was a pro in such a scary situation. Hope she gets better fast :)
Post a Comment